Learning Assistance Centers: Tutoring, Testing, and Academic Coaching
Tutoring Services – Fall 2020
Hours: The Learning Assistance Centers (LAC) will be open from 8:00 am - 4:30 pm, Monday - Thursday, and from 8:00 am - Noon on Friday, starting Monday, September 14, 2020.
The LAC’s are offering REMOTE tutoring, by appointment, all semester.
Beginning the week of Sept. 21, IN-PERSON tutoring will be available by appointment.
· In-person tutoring is by appointment only- we cannot take walk-ins due to COVID-19.
To request remote or in-person help from our NCCC tutors, click on the green “Request Help” link below, fill out and submit the help form. Someone will be in touch with you shortly. -- Request Help
NEW!- Online Evening Tutoring
Sunday through Thursday, 7 PM to Midnight (Login until 11:30 PM)
STAR-NY Tutors are from 25 SUNY schools across NY State!
You do not need an appointment to use STAR-NY tutoring services and it is free to all NCCC students.
To access STAR-NY online evening tutoring:
1. Click on the STAR-NY Tutoring Link https://www.starny.org/tutoring_schedule
2. Log-In using your NCCC username and password
3. Click on the Request a Tutor button
4. Fill out the tutor request form
5. When you reach the Dashboard page, click on a room opened for your subject to enter the room and work with a tutor.
Subjects that tutoring is offered in through STAR-NY:
· Writing Any course through Masters level (except foreign language)
· Math Pre-Algebra, Algebra, Pre-Calculus, Calc I, & Intro to Statistics
· Chemistry Introductory level & General Chemistry
· Biology (SUN, TUES, & THURS) Introductory level and Anatomy & Physiology
· Physics (MON, TUES, & THURS) Introductory level
· Psychology Introductory level
· Economics Introductory level, Macro, and Micro
· Computer Science Introductory level
· Nursing Introductory level
· Accounting Any course below the 400 level
· Organic Chemistry (TUESDAY ONLY)
The Learning Assistance Center provides academic support for students on all three of our campuses, Malone, Ticonderoga and Saranac Lake. We encourage you to visit the LAC and to take advantage of our testing services, one on one tutoring, study groups led by tutors, research and writing support, or workshops on strengthening study skills. We have both professional tutors and peer tutors available Monday through Friday. Stop by the LAC on your campus or email us if you are enrolled in one of our online programs. Your success is important to us!
Our Learning Assistance Centers provide support in the form of:
- Accommodative services
- Quiet testing room
- Individual tutoring sessions
- Academic coaching
- Study groups
- Placement testing-Accuplacer
- Blackboard help
- NCCC Student Portal and Outlook email help
- MLA and APA citation
- Assistance with all stages of the writing process
- Research assistance and NCCC Library database use
- Workshops on study-skills, time management, organization, and test-taking skills
- Resume writing
- Textbooks -*some titles available
- Quiet study spaces
- Student computer area