Types of aid



Gift Aid
Based on need
Do not need to be repaid
Grants offered by the federal government
Grants offered by State of New York
Work Study
Grants offered by State of Vermont
Outside Financial Aid Links

What is a Federal Pell Grant?
Pell Grants are awarded to undergraduate students who have not earned a bachelor's or professional degree. (A professional degree would include a degree in a field such as pharmacy or dentistry.) For many students, Pell Grants provide a foundation of financial aid to which other aid may be added. You apply for a Federal Pell Grant through your FAFSA and do not have to pay it back.

How do I qualify?
To determine if you’re eligible, the U.S. Department of Education uses a standard formula, established by Congress, to evaluate the information you report when you apply. The formula produces an Expected Family Contribution (EFC) dollar amount. Your Student Aid Report (SAR) contains this number and will tell you if you’re eligible.

How much money can I receive?
The maximum award is determined annually by Congress. Currently, the maximum award is $6,345 per academic year for a full-time student. How much you get will depend not only on your EFC, but also on your cost of attendance, whether you’re a full-time or part-time student, and whether you attend school for a full academic year or less.

During the 2012-13 academic year, Congress changed the law to reduce the duration of a student’s eligibility to receive a Federal Pell Grant to 12 full-time semesters (or its equivalent). The calculation of the duration of a student’s eligibility will include the total number of years the student receives Federal Pell Grant funding, regardless of when they first received a Pell Grant award.

How will I be paid?
NCCC will credit the Pell Grant funds to your account.

Can I receive a Federal Pell Grant if I’m enrolled less than full-time?
Yes, if you’re otherwise eligible. The amount of the grant will be prorated based on your enrollment. If you’re enrolled half-time and your courses are required for your degree, you’d receive half the amount that you’d receive as a full-time student.


What is a Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant?
A Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant (FSEOG) is for NCCC students with exceptional financial need – that is, students with the lowest Expected Family Contributions (EFCs) – and gives priority to students who receive Federal Pell Grants. You apply for the FSEOG through your FAFSA and do not have to pay it back.

How much money can I receive?
The federal maximum amount is $4,000 per year, but NCCC students typically receive lower amounts ranging from $400 to $500 per semester.

How will I be paid?
NCCC will credit your account.

What is the New York State Tuition Assistance Program?
The New York State Tuition Assistance Program (TAP) is a financial aid grant for students meeting residence, income, academic, or other requirements, as established by state law.

How do I apply?
When you complete your FAFSA online, you’ll be given a link on the FAFSA website, so you can complete the NYS Express TAP Application (ETA). You can also go online at https://www.tap.hesc.ny.gov/totw/. If you fill out a paper FAFSA, you’ll be sent your ETA by mail.

How will I know if I received a TAP grant?
Upon completion of the ETA, you’ll be notified by HESC of your award. Although an estimate of your eligibility may be included on your NCCC financial aid, you should be aware that notification from HESC is your official TAP award. NCCC will certify your academic eligibility before your TAP award is applied to your account.

How much money can I receive?
TAP awards range from $500 to the full in-state tuition rate at NCCC. A TAP award cannot exceed tuition charges.

How will I be paid?
NCCC will credit your account.

What is the New York State Aid for Part-Time Study Program?
The New York State Aid for Part-Time Study (APTS) program is a financial aid grant for part-time students meeting residence, income, academic or other requirements, as established by state law. 

How do I apply?
You can get a paper application at one of the NCCC Financial Aid Offices or on our forms page.

When should I apply?
The Financial Aid Office will send an email to all students if funds are available. Emails are usually sent as soon as enrollment is confirmed. All students from New York State who are less than full time will receive an email.
Fall semester – usually mid-September
Spring semester – usually mid-February

How much money can I receive?
The grant amount depends upon how much money the state of New York allocates to NCCC. Typically, NCCC awards range from $100 to $400 per semester. An APTS award cannot exceed tuition charges.

How will I be paid?
NCCC will credit your account.

What is the New York State Aid for Part-Time Study Program?
The New York State Part-time Scholarship (PTS) Award Program provides tuition awards that cover the cost of six credit hours or $1,500 per term, whichever is less, to students attending a SUNY or CUNY community college who are enrolled in at least 6 but less than 12 credits.

How do I apply?

How much money can I receive?
A recipient of a PTS Award will receive an award that covers the cost of six credit hours or $1,500 per term, whichever is less, at a SUNY or CUNY community college.
Note: Any award payment received may have tax implications. Any questions regarding this should be directed to a tax professional, the Internal Revenue Service, or the NYS Department of Taxation and Finance.

How will I be paid?
NCCC will credit your account.

The NYS Excelsior Scholarship is the first program of its kind to waive tuition for a public college education.

How do I apply?
The opening date for the 2020-21 Excelsior Scholarship application is online. Please go to the following site to complete any applications necessary https://www.hesc.ny.gov/pay-for-college/financial-aid/types-of-financial-aid/nys-grants-scholarships-awards/the-excelsior-scholarship.html

How much money can I receive?
The Excelsior Scholarship is for tuition only, minus any financial aid awards you receive form TAP, Pell, SEOG, and/or any other aid that is tuition specific.
How will I be paid?
NCCC will credit your account.


The following New York State scholarships and award are also available through HESC:

NYS Child Welfare Worker Incentive Scholarship Program
NYS Scholarships for Academic Excellence
NYS Achievement and Investment in Merit Scholarship
NYS World Trade Center Memorial Scholarship;
Military Enhanced Recognition Incentive and Tribute – MERIT Scholarship
Flight 3407 Memorial Scholarship
American Airlines Flight 587 Memorial Scholarship
NYS Memorial Scholarship for Families of Deceased Firefighters, Volunteer Firefighters, Police Officers, Peace Officers, and Emergency Medical Service Workers
Veterans Tuition Awards
NYS Regents Awards for Children of Deceased and Disabled Veterans
NYS Aid to Native American
Segal AmericCorps Education Award

Additional information is available by contacting Higher Education Services Corporation at 888-NYSHESC (888-697-4372) or by contacting the HESC Web site at: https://www.hesc.ny.gov/pay-for-college/financial-aid/types-of-financial-aid.html#horizontalTab2


All on-campus student empleoyment opportunities are posted onlin at: www.nccc.edu and on the student portal.

FWS is awarded to some students who have financial need and who wish to earn part of their educational expenses. To be eligible for Federal Work-Study, a student must:

Be a U.S. citizen or permanent resident alien;
Be enrolled (or accepted for enrollment) in a degree program;
Demonstrate financial need;
Maintain satisfactory academic progress;
Be eligible for Title IV Aid

Students may work approximately 5 to 12 hours per week and are paid on a scale starting at minimum wage, but may be higher. The amount you earn cannot exceed your total FWS award.

Student Timesheets can be found online at https://www.nccc.edu/pdfs/hr_forms_documents/Student%20Timesheet%20-%20fws%201920.pdf

Student Employment Guide can be found online at https://www.nccc.edu/pdfs/hr_forms_documents/2020_udates/Student%20Employment%20Guide.pdf

Vermont need-based grants that VSAC administers on behalf of the State of Vermont—the Incentive Grant (full-time enrollment), the Part-Time Grant (part-time enrollment), and the Advancement Grant (for shorter non-degree programs to improve your ability to get a job or to explore college). Eligible students received from $1,000 to $12,300 during the 2019–2020 academic year.

Apply online at https://www.vsac.org/pay/applying-online-financial-aid/vermont-grants


ACCESS-VR (Vocational Rehabilitation)

ACCES-VR (Vocational Rehabilitation) provides an extensive array of services to individuals with disabilities that will enable them for employment. Students must have a documented diagnosed disability to be eligible for ACCES-VR benefits. For college students, ACCES-VR may provide support services such as tutors, note takers, and readers. For eligible students who also meet financial requirements, ACCES-VR may provide a grant that assists with tuition, fees, books, transportation and adaptive equipment.  Additional information is online at http://www.acces.nysed.gov/vr

Information on scholarships available to North Country Community College students may be accessed by visiting our NCCC Foundation Scholarship Directory

Outside Financial Aid Links:

Federal Student Aid – www.studentaid.ed.gov
National Student Loan Data System – www.nslds.ed.gov
FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid) – www.fafsa.ed.gov
HESC (NYS Higher Education Services Corp) – www.hesc.ny.gov
VSAC (Vermont Student Assistance) – www.vsac.org
Federal Student Loans – www.studentloans.gov
FastWeb – www.fastweb.com
FinAid – www.finaid.org

Important Financial Aid Numbers / Codes

Federal Code: 007111
Federal Student Aid Processor:  (800) 4-FEDAID
NYS Tap Program: (888) NYS-HESC    NYS Tap Code: 2258